Bleisure, that funny word that seems to be buzzing around, and for good reason. It’s the new hybrid traveler: the business man or woman who is looking to have a little fun, whether it be sightseeing, museum (or bar) hopping, or music bopping, while working a little too. Yes, bleisure is the new leisure, it’s business and leisure, our multitasking is getting good.
Let’s break it down.
Expedia picked up on this bleisure trend and wanted to get more insight, and did they ever! Expedia Media Solutions tracked 148-volunteer case study traveler group. This group’s activity highlighted two points:
- activities, attractions, and yes, events are travelers top considerations when deciding to go from strictly business to bleisure.
- these potential bleisurers (coined!) visit event information websites and apps before booking their flights. OTA’s came in second to these sources.
Ding, ding, ding! This means that not only is dynamic content key, but its availability needs to prior to flight, and it needs to easy to find, navigate and make real itineraries with to turn biz. into leisure. When do travelers finally book flights? About 1-4 weeks in advance, an ample time-frame to provide rich dynamic destination content. It’s all about the timing.
Expedia knew it had to dig deeper, and they did! They hired Luther Research and this time tracked a volunteer group of 4,880 travelers and really got into their heads.
Here are the key findings broken down into Motivators, Timing and Devices.
Motivators: what motivates one to become a bleisurer?
- Trip location: are there beaches? any interesting activities? what about sightseeing? any art shows or concerts? The more dynamic appeal, the more bleisure friendly.
- Trip time: closer to the weekend, the better (who doesn’t like a little weekend fun?). If it’s international, more likely to go bleisure over domestic!
- Trip duration: conferences have a 43% higher chance of turning into bleisure as opposed to pure sales trips (9%). Why? Well the latter are longer. Turns out the likelihood of bleisure is proportional to the number of travel days: the more days the better.
- Trip nature: remember the biz. part of the trip is covered by the boss, so this hybrid traveler is motivated to spend good cash on their own fun, knowing the plane, hotel and food bills are paid.
Timing: at what times do potential bleisurers look for dynamic content?
- At work: 39% of the study visited bleisure sites between 9am-3pm. Nothing better to escape the daily grind than to imagine yourself on a far-away beach. Or, maybe just looking at all the interesting things to do while you close that deal in Rome.
- In the evening: 25% of the study visited bleisure sites from 8pm-11pm. Hopefully the potential bleisurer is not working until 11pm, but if they are, you bet they are looking at fun things their next business trip destination has to offer. Or, maybe they are doing the typical evening travel-envisioning dream exercise (guilty).
- Mondays are great, Thursdays not so much, and Fridays good again: travel sites are heavily visited during the week (one-third on Monday, dip on Thursday then spike again on Fridays).
- On-site: ⅓ of respondents said that their decision to extend the trip depended on if there was an interesting event going on nearby.
Devices: how are the bleisurers accessing and viewing content?
- PCs and desktops are still the top choice, to see all those beautiful images of beaches, old alleyways, and more beaches.
- Mobile APPs come in second, always practical and on-hand.
Now that you know what’s buzzing in the bleisure mind, let us help you get that buzz to you!
5 Ways Smartvel Can Increase Both Bleisure and Incremental Revenue for You
- Dynamic bleisure-friendly content, and fast – our system can generate content for a destination in 2 days. It’s visual and practical. We are in 85 destinations, and growing.
- Content a la carte – with an interactive CMS, our clients can create their own layers of bleisure friendly content.
- Know what they like, where and when – our metrics platform allows clients to get direct analytics on travelers tendencies to better re-target the bleisure offering, specific to their destination and their location.
- Communicate at bleisure-friendly times – our clients can have rich API destination content to e-market effectively during bleisure-friendly time-frames.
- Travel Itineraries, with client branding – when travelers plan their trips on the Smartvel tool integrated on client sites, they can email themselves a full travel itinerary. Guess what? Our client gets a copy too, allowing them to take care of them on site and think of blieure recommendations to get them to stay longer.
In summary, Expedia found that 43% of all business trips, across domestic and international flights, are bleisure. Turns out this funny word is a big deal and it has specific motivators, timings and elements.
Central to it all is dynamic content, its availability and its promotion. Let us help you become bleisure-friendly, call us for a live demo today.
by Melody Tabatabaian
Sales and Global Partnerships Manager at Smartvel